Kahurangi National Park, NZ
/ 6 benefits of choosing a self guided holiday
Whether you want to be the master of your own travel destiny or enjoy the journey of travelling solo, choosing to travel independently doesn't have to be a daunting task.
Enter self guided holidays. They provide the freedom of moving at your own pace and being challenged further. When there's a lot to consider on an active adventure – from transfers to accommodation, route mapping to gear hire – it helps when the hassle of organising is taken out of your hands.
What does a self guided holiday involve?
A self guided holiday is pretty much letting you control the steering wheel but having a personalised Siri navigator – i.e. an experienced travel company – help you along the way.
Especially when seeking out paths less travelled, a self guided adventure combines the flexibility, comfort and freedom of independent travel with the benefits of an organised tour.
Our self-guided departures don't compromise on security and organisation, with 24/7 support and logistics taken care of by our ground team. You can get the perks of gear hire included, have most meals (or food drops when out in the wilderness) provided, camp equipment use, maps and route details on hand, luggage transfers and more. All you need to do is arrive on the day of your great adventure and start navigating.
How different is a self guided tour to independent travel?
Independent tours are for travellers that want to go it alone, seeking out a unique experience with that extra freedom to venture where and how one pleases. And thanks to the internet, the boom in DIY has become the rage. But that means planning, researching, making calls, organising bookings and schedules, budgeting, doing more research, making more phone calls... I think you get the drift. Planning an itinerary and managing all the logistics can get tedious and exhausting. So is saving a few bucks worth sacrificing the overall experience, not to mention the time taken to co-ordinate a one to two week holiday? And, do you actually save that much money in the end?
Self guided holidays take the hassle away with expertly planned itineraries and service both on and off the trail with plenty of wiggle room to tailor your travel experience to suit your style, budget and needs.
While travel styles are continually evolving, a regular constant is people's need to seek out value for experience and value for money. So a boom in self guided tours makes a lot of sense for those that like the feel of independent travel but with the luxury of the expertise, advice, assistance and safety of a travel company.
Self guided walking or cycling trips offer a multitude of advantages, regardless of whether you are an experienced active traveller or a first-timer.
6 benefits of opting for a self guided trip:
1. Convenience: Researching all the possibilities can get exciting, but it is also time-consuming, overwhelming and even exhausting at times. Choosing our self guided holidays means we do all the leg work with specialist knowledge of your destination from our experienced team of adventures and experts. You'll save a lot of screen time not scouring the internet researching ideas and reading reviews with the luxury of an expertly crafted itinerary, based on years of experience and local knowledge of a destination. It allows you to make the most of your time and ensure you can travel worry-free with all the logistics sorted.
2. Competitive pricing: Travel companies can get a better price thanks to their volume. We can help pre-book accommodation, gear hire and activities at great prices and our team can help tailor your trip to meet your budget. Plus, with plenty of inclusions in the trip cost already, you can better budget for your adventure holiday and eliminate many out of pocket expenses.
3. Luggage transport service: Having your bags transferred for you each day is a major plus where you simply leave your bags at the reception of your accommodation in the morning with our luggage tags attached and they’ll be picked up and dropped off at your following destination accommodation.
4. Travel at your own pace: With more flexibility, you can pick and choose what you want to do, where you wish to spend more time and not have to worry about keeping up with a tour group. (You can even choose your own travel buddies!) Under your own steam, you’ll have time to savour the sights and delights of the region.
5. Up-to-date and well-thought-out route notes and maps: These get updated more often than a guide book does and they always benefit from local insights and knowledge. Rest assured that we'll look after the logistics, so you can concentrate on the trail ahead.
6. Added security: If something goes wrong on your trip when travelling independently with a small group of friends or solo, who are you going to call? There's no need to go into 'survival mode'. Our self guided trips offer 24-hour local emergency contacts, which can be the difference between you getting back on the trail in a matter of hours, or aborting the trip completely. Travel with a peace of mind knowing that there is help only a fingertip away, especially when the unexpected has a way of happening.
Rather than thinking and worrying about trip logistics all day, isn’t it worth treating yourself to a trip where someone else takes on this thankless task, so you can focus on all the amazing reasons you came to the destination in the first place? We don’t doubt that independent travel doesn’t have its place, but there are certainly plenty of perks when you have expert support and advice on hand.
New to self guided trips? Start by browsing our range of holidays that let you travel at your own pace without the hassle of organising >