West MacDonnel Ranges | Shaana McNaught
No matter your fitness level or walking distance preference, we offer more ways to hike the Larapinta Trail than any other operator. But which Larapinta walk is for you?
Guided walks – small groups led by our expert guides
Guided walks are perfect for those who like to travel in groups and meet new people along the way. Your guide will be a great source of information and be able to fill you in about points of interest on the trail.
All of our guided walks are fully supported and catered for, allowing you to walk with just a day pack, so you can enjoy the unique and diverse landscape for which the trail is so famous.
For a long weekend away: Larapinta Experience in Comfort – on this short ‘sampler’ of the Larapinta Trail, you will stay at our comfortable semi-permanent campsites and enjoy a selection of the best walks from Alice Springs to Ormiston Gorge over three days.
Ticking off an outback classic in 6 days with just a daypack: Classic Larapinta Trek in Comfort – stay in our exclusive Eco-Comfort Camps each night and take in the highlights between Alice Springs and Mt Sonder. Finish the walk with a climb to Mount Sonder enjoying the sunrise with a cup of tea in hand. This is our most popular Larapinta walk and one of the Great Walks of Australia.
A more slow travel experience: Best of the Larapinta Trail – For all the highlights and more, this is an ideal walk for those who want to see more but don’t want to complete the full 14-day walk. Over 9 days you'll stay in wilderness campsites and have more time to explore and soak up the beauty of Central Australia.
For seasoned walkers: Larapinta End to End – If two weeks of hiking in Australia's incredible desert wilderness appeals to you, then the full traverse of the Larapinta trek is for you. The 223-kilometre hike covers all the highlights and everything in between, from sections 1 to 12, staying in wilderness campsites. An excellent walk for wildlife lovers or those who love the idea of taking on a long-distance hike. We make it more achievable with our experienced guides on hand who take care of the food and camp gear, so you simply carry a daypack.
Benefits of joining a guided walk on the Larapinta Trail
- Interpretation from guides about points of interest along the way
- Meeting other like-minded travellers
- Carry only a daypack
- Have all your meals prepared by your guides
- Off-road transport to and from Alice Springs
- National Park and camping fees included
Self-guided walks – for independent travellers
Self-guided walks are ideal for the more confident, solo and independent walker and are for those who are keen to complete the walk on their own with the added convenience of support and backup.
Save yourself the hassle and have all your transfers, gear, support and backup – and more – organised for you, so all you have to worry about is enjoying the walk. Note that all our self-guided Larapinta walks involve carrying a full pack, so it's ideal for seasoned bushwalkers.
For experienced walkers short on time: 6 Day Self-Guided Walk – hike 6 consecutive sections of the Larapinta Trail and experience some of the trails' highlights with your own customised itinerary.
Exploring the best sections at your own pace: 9 Day Self Guided Walk – if you don't have two weeks to complete the full traverse, hike nine sections of the Larapinta Trail for a challenging yet fulfilling desert experience.
For those who want a challenge: 12 Day Self Guided Walk – walk the entire 12 sections of the Larapinta Trail for the ultimate walking challenge with a full pack.
Benefits of walking self-guided on the Larapinta Trail
- Design your walks and choose the consecutive sections you want
- Perfect for those that love real adventure and carrying a full pack
- Save yourself the hassle of researching and leave it to the experts
- Hundreds of dollars worth of gear included
- Transfers to the start and from the finish of your walk included
- Emergency support and advice from our local crew
- National Park and camping fees included
Family Adventures – swap screen time for green time
Most of our family adventures are designed with a young traveller in mind, with a minimum age of 8 years old, there are exclusive departures available so you can join other like-minded families.
The 6-day Larapinta Trek Family Adventure visits the highlights along the trail, including Ormiston Gorge and Standley Chasm, while the whole family gains a deeper understanding of the ancient Indigenous culture and Traditional Owners of the land.
Benefits of adventuring with the family
- The family itinerary is specially designed to excite, educate and entertain both the parents and younger travellers in your family, immersing deep into the culture of a country.
- The pace of the holiday is more relaxed, giving you time to explore the surroundings before embarking on adventures that will see you exploring the natural landscapes.
- Create memories to last a lifetime with loved ones
Private Groups – customising your Larapinta adventure
Creating a private tour allows your own group of friends, family, club or association members to embark on a specialised adventure holiday, where you’ve chosen the destination, date of departure and special features so that it is tailor-made to achieve the objectives you desire from your holiday.
Our expertise helps makes your adventure come to life – literally!
Benefits of Private Groups
- Design your own adventure by using our knowledge to create a private group trip that suits your schedule, budget, style and personal interests.
- Organise your own group trip with the help of our adventure experts
- Soak up the beautiful Red Centre surrounded by loved ones and friends
Find out more about creating your own private group.